Friday, March 30, 2012

Our final days in the Kalagadi

It's been a long time since I've posted here.

Quite scary really when you look back and see just how much time has past, and how quickly the days, months and even years fly by. June 2010 was my last post getting close to two years later! Ouch.

I never finished my stories about our amazing Kalagadi trip. We had five more days on this trip, and we saw many raptors, unfortunately often too far away to get any decent pictures, but nice to see anyway. So we had a fairly quite and relaxing couple of days in Nossob before heading back out of the park to Augrabies. On our last evening drive at Nossob we were treated to this sight:
 
A Kalahari storm brewing in the distance with a rainbow section to boot!
The following morning we packed up and set out on the long trip back to Twee Rivieren.
Early on we spotted a Kori Bustard striding through the long grass, and a while later a jackal and some vultures cleaning up a carcass form a on kill.

The storm we had seen brewing the pervious evening was still hanging threateningly in the distant skys. It created an amazing contrast with the bright sunlight dirt roads we were travelling on.


As we headed south and west it got closer and closer, and the ambient light got darker, making photography harder.

However I spotted this Abdim's Stork, (Ciconia abdimii) also known as White-bellied Stork, just off the side of the road. A first for us!


I would have hoped for a better shot, but considering the light I was pleased that the shot I did get at least alloed me to get an ID of this bird.

A little further on we spotted (pardon the pun) three cheetahs moving through the grass again unfortunately just a little too far out to get a really decent picture, but here we are:

Then a couple of the slowest inhabitants of the region graced us with their presence. Slow and dignified they made their way purposfully across the road.


The leopard tortiose displaying clearly the variation in colours and patterns.

Then, there was the the pale chanting goshawk, a juveile admittedly, but the bird that had become iconic for us as an image of the Kalahari. Sitting majestically in the top of a thorn tree right along side the road. The clouds had lifted a bit and there was decent light. I was pleased with the pictures I managed to get here. What do you think?

Not the perfect angle I know, but the clarity and proximity of the bird gave me the best chance I'd had all trip.

And that was the Kgalagadi, after a bone-shaking 5.5hrs we left the park and hit the hiway to Augrabies.

All the best, Ivan



No comments:

All content of this blog is copyright owned by Ivan Andersen. Should you wish to use any text or images, please request permission by contacting the author.