Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Mechanics and machines!

What I forgot to mention inmy previous post was that the night before we left Nossob we had gone out for a last game drive in the evening. Whilst on the drive I thought I heard something fall or get caught by a tyre and flicked up into the engine or wheel arch. We sort of looked around to see if there was anything obvious, but did not spot anything.

On returning to the camp I decided to check under the hood. The filler cap from my engine had fallen off! Now I'm no mechanic, but I was sure that it would not be healthy to drive on these very dusty roads around without this cap in place. We were sitting in the middle of the Kalahari, not a spares shop for hundreds of kilometres!

So I took a pair of my underpants, most expendable item I could find and wedged them in place of the missing cap. What else could I do?? We then drove the 8 hours, 5.5 on the dirt roads and 2.5 on tar back to Upington, and back to the same garage that had helped us on our way up when I had discovered the leaking radiator hose.

After about 1/2 an hour of fiddling they managed to locate a second hand cap for me, and for the princely sum of R60, we was back on the road again .... this time to Augrabies.

No comments:

All content of this blog is copyright owned by Ivan Andersen. Should you wish to use any text or images, please request permission by contacting the author.